Jackson County Deputy Accidentally Overdoses, Is Revived with Narcan After Exposure to Fentanyl During ArrestRickey Stokes
Posted by: RStokes
Date: Jan 16 2019 8:22 AM
MARIANNA — A Jackson County Sheriff’s Deputy was given Narcan Tuesday and transported to the hospital after an accidental exposure to the dangerous painkiller fentanyl caused him to begin to overdose during an arrest in the parking lot at Goodwill in Marianna.
According to a press release, the deputy was field testing what appeared to be methamphetamine when he began to have a physical reaction to the substance that was consistent with fentanyl exposure. Before losing consciousness, he was able to radio that he needed medical attention due to possible exposure to the painkiller. Additional deputies arrived an administered Narcan, an opioid-blocking agent that can temporarily stop an overdose. The deputy was then transported to Jackson Hospital for observation.